If you have talked to me in the past few months you know that I’m working on moving iTwixie from a Joomla environment to WordPress. Choirs of angels should chime in every time I utter that phrase.
Today was my first attempts testing the transition of any part of the database to WordPress. I have done a fair amount of Googling the subject and settled on FG Joomla to WordPress as my first attempt. This WordPress plugin reads your Joomla database and imports posts, categories, media and users.
How it Went
I started with the free version and then upgraded to the premium version to import the users. The premium version is more stable, way more stable as it executed the transfer faster, and I could tell it ran better than the free version. I am working via local host with XAMPP, so I was able to quickly create multiple instances of WordPress and run the plugin a few times.
Moving the articles to posts went smoothly however the plugin failed to move the media. There is probably an issue with how I have the Joomla site setup locally but when the images weren’t move all the tags in the posts had the src=”xx” removed. Which was kind of dumb because I could manually move the media folder and reassign the path in each post. So I’m still working on that. The plugin developer did respond to a few of my emails today so that is a good sign we can work this out.
Moving the users went smoothly as well except the plugin only moves username, name and email. We might need more database tables moved here in the end but I haven’t finished our testing. When I did import the users into our BuddyPress test site the users weren’t automatically setup as BP users. So that is something I’ll have to figure out as I move forward.
This process took all day and mainly because it is my first and hopefully only time I will ever have to move a site from Joomla to WordPress. All in all this went as expected and I’m still have many loose ends to tie up with this database migration. I will say this though. When I added the 3,250 odd articles to the WordPress site on the server it took em like a champ and didn’t show any signs of slow or sluggish behavior.
On a personal note it is awesome to get my hands this dirty working with multiple databases and WordPress installs. I am so impressed with how robust these systems are and the fact that it’s relatively simple to do blows me away. I keep thinking why didn’t I get into this before. Well the answer is because I never had a reason to.
Using a local server like XAMPP or MAMP makes creating duplicate sites as easy as copying files into new folders. If you haven’t gotten into this get to it.
I couldn’t move the media folders because the plugin couldn’t write to the to “uploads” folder while it was inside Applications. Which is where XAMPP and its files are stored. So I had to edit the apache config file and change the XAMPP root directory and change user permissions. It is all explained not so clearly here.