Presented by The Art Institute of Pittsburgh

Hi, I'm Rex, I'm a dinosaur and this is my blog.

Rex

Erin go away and stop dressing me so ridiculously.

Zeus’s lightning bolts, readers!

I woke up this morning and, well … bagpipes?  REALLY?

At first I assumed the students were playing a joke on me because this is Friday the 13th and if you read on down, you’ll see what Friday the 13th means to a dinosaur.

But this is not a joke.  This is a school-approved Saint Patrick’s Day costume.

I have some things I’d like to say about this:

1.  Who is in charge of costuming me?  I’d like a name; I’d like a location and I’d like to show that person my teeth.

2.  Does my colossal mouth filled with those aforementioned sharp teeth look like it has any chance at all of puckering around that tiny bagpipe mouth piece?  I don’t think so.  Next year, just give me some shiny beads to throw to the ladies.

3.  I’m pretty sure the bagpipes are supposed to go UNDER my arm.  First person to make a “ha-ha.  T-rexes have tiny little useless arms” joke is also going to get up close and personal with my sharp teeth.

4.  It was 20 degrees last night.  You think I could have had a scarf or something?  I’m hoarse this morning and my rawr sounds like a little kitten purring at a piece of lint.  Not very useful when I need to let the students know I don’t appreciate being leaned on.  I need a thunder-filled RAWR for that if I want to make them pee their pants.  That’s just funny.

5. I can’t be sure, but I think I’m really holding a faded Italian flag.

6.  The city’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade is coming right past me tomorrow so I’ll have the best seat on the street.  My flickr stream is going to be off the hook.  A note:  If you climb up on me to get a better view of the parade, I cannot be held responsible for the injuries you suffer when my dinosaur instincts kick in and whisper to me that you smell just like a juicy hadrosaur. You’ve been warned.

Rawr.

6 Comments

1. I heart you, Creation Rex.

…and I would have at least given you a kilt.

Comment by Rachel on March 13, 2009 @ 12:29 pm
  2. Hey you hunka hunka burning fire! From the hills of Bedford Co. Pa we are watching your diva red carpet clothing. Peg

Comment by Peg on March 13, 2009 @ 12:46 pm
  3. “C. rex” – you’re my fave! I had a miniature model of your skeleton (sorry!) I built from a kit when I could reach no higher than your (real-size) ankle!

As a former paleontology intern at our beloved Carnegie Museum of Natural History, and forever lover of all things scientific, I do feel I owe it to you to set the record straight: you came from the Cretaceous period, the last 80 million years of the Mesozoic era – NOT the Cenozoic (see your caption “genus: Cenozoic”). And, rightfully so, your “Genus” is Tyrannosaurus.

Now, if you could illuminate us on what happened 25 or so million years ago that made all your ancestors extinct, an awful lot of scientists in dusty old “bone rooms” at museums and universities around the world would be quite happy!

…And it might even give the rest of the human population an idea of how much longer we’re likely to stick around on old Planet Earth!

So glad you’re with us! Hold tight to the building during the St. Patty’s Day parade festivities!

Comment by Linda Plowman on March 13, 2009 @ 1:10 pm
  4. Dearest Linda,

I am aware that I was born in the Cretaceous period. Someday I’ll tell you all about what I was like as a baby. “Teethy” comes to mind.

Posts tagged Prehistoric will deal with my life before AIP and posts marked Cenozoic will deal with my current modern life. Because this is the Cenozoic age.

I am 65 million years old. I’m pretty sure I know more than you, but your efforts to educate a dinosaur about being a dinosaur were very adorable.

;)

Look, I used an emoticon. I’m being all modern and stuff.

Dearest Rachel,

This is me, hearting you back.

Rex.

Comment by Rex on March 14, 2009 @ 5:06 pm
  5. Yo Rex,

I know you are very old and have seen many things come and go. One thing you may remember is the typewriter. In the days of typewriters it was common practice to use two spaces after punctuation, but with the invention of the computer and digital type we no longer need to use two spaces. Digital type compensates for the space between letters where the typewriter did not.

I just thought you should be aware of these things since you are, in a way, representing an organization of higher learning.

Have a good one. Rawr.

Comment by Badley McFearson on March 16, 2009 @ 3:44 pm
  6. Yo Badley,

Is that your real name? I love it. I’m going to name my first son Badley. Badley Rex.

I’ve been getting a lot of grief from people about how I put two spaces after a period and I’m sick of it. So I’m just eating those people. Where can I find you?

Rex.

Comment by Rex on March 17, 2009 @ 10:51 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.